What are the Most Popular Flowers for Florists at Easter?
After a long dreary gray winter, picking up a colorful bouquet of flowers from the floral cooler at the local flower boutique is a great way to revitalize morale in your home. Here are some of the most popular flowers for Easter, according to florists:
- Easter Lilies: This trumpet-shaped blossom is a popular tradition for announcing the arrival of spring. The white petals with dark green leaves symbolize hope, purity, and love.
- Tulips: The egg-shaped buds are one of the first to bloom in the spring and display a single flower. Traditional solid colors like red, white, purple, yellow, and pink are gorgeous but the two-toned flowers are especially eye-catching.
- Daffodils: Also a trumpet-shaped flower symbolic of new life and one of the first bulbs to bloom, sometimes before the last snowfall has melted. These flowers require minimal maintenance and spread easily, covering an area with yellow, orange, and white blooms.
- Daisies: Thin ray-shaped florets surround and draw your attention to a concentrated floret center. This hearty perennial reappears each year and the many variations represent loyalty and innocence.
How do you Care for Easter Flowers?
After removing flowers from the floral cooler at the store, fresh-cut Easter flowers need the care to stay vibrant.
- Trim the stems and place in cold water ensuring that no foliage is submerged.
- Follow the instructions on the packet of flower food from your florist.
- Keep the water fresh to avoid that bacterial green slime.
- Choose a vase large enough so air can pass through the foliage and tall enough to support most of the stalk length.
Be careful not to place your gorgeous flowers next to that bowl of fruit that’s releasing a gas called ethylene which can also cause bacteria growth. Display your Easter flowers in a cool space out of direct sunlight to keep those beautiful colors brighter as long as possible.
How do Florists keep Flowers Fresh?
Many factors can influence the rate at which a clipped flower decays. Florists keep the water supply clean and fresh while providing a reliable nutrient supply. They know not to mix certain varieties, such as tulips and daffodils because the sap from the daffodils will stifle the tulip’s water supply. Florists minimize the amount of ethylene gas in the air and know-how to prevent disease and bacteria from developing.
Many floral shops will keep their flowers in a clean floral cooler that controls the temperature and humidity, slowing down the flowers’ respiration process which is the key to extending their bloom life. Ideally, floral cooler temperatures should be kept between 38 and 42°F and complimented with a relative humidity between 80 and 90%.
What is the Importance of a Floral Cooler in Preserving Easter Blooms?
According to ProFlowers, 95% of Easter lilies are shipped from the California and Oregon coast, so florists around the country must provide an ideal environment upon arrival. As soon as a stem is cut, the clipped Easter lily relies on stored nutrients in the stalk and leaves to stay alive. Storing flowers in a floral cooler is extremely effective at keeping Easter blooms fresh by controlling the most detrimental environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity.
How can Powers Equipment Floral Coolers be used to keep Flowers Fresh-Looking Longer?
Powers Equipment floral coolers build each floral refrigerator with decades of experience and superior knowledge of durable refrigeration technology. While each florist has their own methodology for keeping their blooms looking fresh, a reliable floral cooler designed for proper air circulation, ideal humidity, and a consistent temperature range is a necessity for elongating the vase-life of their flowers. A display floral cooler is an ultimate solution for both storage and presentation, providing the most favorable environment for extending the flowers’ vibrant bloom life.
Check out Powers Equipment’s environmentally-friendly display floral coolers with options for sliding doors on heated tracks, vertical LED lights, double-paned heated swinging glass doors, door locks, and glass shelving, or work with an expert to design your own custom floral cooler to display your wall of colorful floral beauty!